Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My coffee has gone lukewarm
As I sort through the
Distorted pictures and words written
On faded pages of paper
I can flip through the past
Change it or rearrange it
But I can't make it new
These are only memories
Glimpses of what may have happened
They just weigh me down
Letting me put my life on pause
While I reminisce about
What could have been
Or linger on the "good times"
I'm not saying I'm ready to throw it
All away or that I really need to
But it's time to set it all aside
Not worry if I remember each
Of the moments just right or
If they fall in the correct order
I've learned what I can from them
I'm ready to be rid of the weight
To feel even just a bit lighter
Like my nearly back coffee
A little creamer to cut the bitterness
Of the dark roast
I drink it down savoring the last bit
Of warmth in the ceramic mug
Knowing my past is just part of me
But like a job or name or title
It does not define me
But maybe what I've lived through
Has made me a bit stronger
Even more ready to deal
With each day to come
From now on





No comments:

Post a Comment