I was pushed and smashed
Till I ran to the edge
A kind soul came to give
Me a kind word
But then he thought that I needed
To be protected and sheltered
Maybe even hidden away
A hand up after a fall
A towel for the splashed beer
A shrug and word of encouragement
A push forward
Or even a shove away
When I lean too much
These things I have had need
Of at times, but to be treated
Like I can not take care of myself
Is not welcome any day of the week
I'm pretty good at getting myself
Out of a fight so it makes little
Sense for you to throw a punch
Or put me behind you, like I
Can't find my own way out of it
Certainly if I need a hand
Or even a partner in crime
I'll accept any assistance you can give
But please don't ever assume I am
Weak, helpless or need your sympathy
Again, please don't get me wrong
While I can be stubborn indeed
I'm not saying that at times
I couldn't use
Someone to lean on for a bit
But don't ever think I want
Someone to fight my fights
For me
If there is even one to be fought.
And if the fight is in my head
As I deal with a momentary dread
Don't you dare try to fix me
(A little post concert angst)
No comments:
Post a Comment