Not a poem, just a recollection
9 years and 2 days ago I woke up to the radio
I think it was Rock 105, but it could have been 91X
Either way I was barely awake when my mind
Started putting the pieces together of what I was hearing
Part of me thought I might still be dreaming
But mostly what I thought, and as awful as it my sound,
What still makes me laugh the slightest bit at the thought
Was that it was a modern version of War of the Worlds
A Djs new take on Orson Welles spoof done in 1938
Simplified- really what are terrorists but illegal aliens that want
To bring fear and destruction to our country
Truly I thought they were going to go through the whole thing
Then at the end we would find that it was all made up
That it was an article or short story that someone had written
If only that were true, if only those deaths could have been
In someones imagination and not part of one of this countries
Greatest tragedies, indeed we can not pretend it didn't happen
I did not wake up to find it was some strange awful dream
I was already up and went to work and did very little work
There was little to do, our part of the world was on pause
Waiting and listening to the radio or TV to learn just
How bad it was, just what had happened
Not that we'll ever have the whole true story
I felt the world pause again about a week later
I was in OB at their farmers' market
Which lies under Lindbergh Field's primary
Route to almost any destination for almost every air line
All flights had been grounded the day of the attacks
As it stayed for days and very few flights allowed after that for weeks
I was sampling the local fare of workers who could not afford
To have their lives on pause for too long
When a plane went overhead, it's quite a sound in that part of town
But that day the astonishing sound was the eerie silence that came
Over those there in the street, No one moved except to look up
I lost no one in the towers,
Though I felt for those that did and those that passed
Though I knew none personally, those lost are carried in my memory
I believe the best way to honor, them beyond never forgetting
Is to refuse to live in fear
To lend a hand to others when we can
& Live our lives to the fullest as best we can
That is all we can do for those that are no more
No comments:
Post a Comment